Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: Tears For Nanertak

Nanertak is a polar bear cub.  She and her mother are forced to flee their arctic home when the ice begins to melt. But, where on a warming Earth is a polar bear to go?

Skip Hofstrand's Tears for Nanertak (Outskirts Press, 2012) is a beautifully illustrated picture book highlighting the danger posed to arctic wildlife by global warming.  Geared toward young children, the story is very simple. Unfortunately, the story is also quite heavy handed and really, really sad.  I loved the gorgeous watercolors and hopeful ending, but I just can't recommend this one.

I received a complimentary copy of Tears for Nanertak to facilitate my review.  No other compensation was received.  For full disclosure, see the sidebar.

7 comments:

Brian Miller said...

sounds like a good message...and i love watercolor, so...

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for the review, I keep hearing about this issue for the polar bears.

EG CameraGirl said...

It sounds very sad.

G-Man said...

Simple....Thats Me!!!

Fireblossom said...

Yes, the cover art looks quite nice.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

It sounds like it could make the little kids very sad. Reading sad books isn't much fun. When I had my daycare, there was this one little boy who made me read "I'll Love You Forever" over and over to watch me cry. Finally, I just refused and I don't think that I have read it since.

Hope that you guys have a great holiday!

Kathy M.

Mrs4444 said...

I appreciate your honest opinion. Thanks