Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Review: Selma's Dowry

Selma Katz is a strong, funny, intelligent woman.  Unfortunately, she has a less than attractive face.  Fearing that his thirty-year-old daughter will never marry, Selma's father offers a substantial dowry to any man willing to save his daughter from a life of spinsterhood.  Is this the opportunity of a lifetime for handsome, college drop-out Connor Sullivan?  Or, is it much more than he ever bargained for?

A bit to my surprise, I absolutely adored Jac Simensen's Selma's Dowry (Sunrise Writing, 2012). This quiet, character-driven story drew me in until I almost felt like a member of the Katz family myself.  Simensen has created some of the most genuine and likable characters that I have encountered in quite some time.  If you enjoy a good love story, check out Selma's Dowry.

I received a complimentary copy of Selma's Dowry to facilitate my review.  No other compensation was received.  For full disclosure, see the sidebar.

19 comments:

Fireblossom said...

This sounds really cool! But...I almost fell off my chair when I saw the book cover. No bonnets? No voluminous skirts trailing the ground? Her face may not be her fortune, but everything else looks dandy.

Brian Miller said...

um, i am with shay on that one...ahem....but it does sound like a really cool story....i like ones that surprise me like that..

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Sounds interesting.

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy a good book review. This one sounds very interesting. Thanks Mama Zen.

....Petty Witter said...

Liking the sound of this, thanks for the recommendation.

A Lady's Life said...

Oh boy! Sounds like a good story :)

Diane Estrella said...

This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for your thoughts and the review. Hope you have a wonderful holiday week! :O)

Diane
www.dianeestrella.com

P.S.-I have 4 giveaways going on at my site this week if you're interested in stopping over.

HermanTurnip said...

Zen: Did I read Fireblossom's blog correctly? If so, Happy Birthday! :-)

Pat said...

Sounds good!

Deanna said...

Always looking for a good read...will definitely keep this one in mind. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving some love!!

Riet said...

very interesting

Rajesh said...

Wonderful review.

Dianne said...

I love character driven stories
thanks for the review

G-Man said...

FB is such a Scamp!

aloi @ guiltlessreading said...

Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog Guiltless Reading. you seemed interested in my Friday 56 book - The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap. I have a giveaway happening right now on my blog! Here's the link:
http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2012/11/guest-post-giveaway-paulette-mahurin.html

Cloudia said...

Racy cover!
Now back to those whiskers...



Have a Sweet Week -
Warm Aloha to YOU
from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

~ > < } } ( ° >

> < 3 3 3 ( ' >


Misty DawnS said...

I really enjoy reading your reviews. This one sounds worth reading!

Carver said...

Sounds like a book I might like.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

This sounds super good and right up my Alley. I hope to read it someday!

Kathy M.