Friday, October 26, 2012

Review: Capital Hell

When small town South Dakota girl Allison Amundson is hired to be the scheduler for newly elected Senator Anders McDermott III, she can't believe her luck.  After all, she'll be working in the big leagues in the nation's capital.  It doesn't take long for Allison to discover, however, that she is overworked, underpaid, and surrounded by crazy people.  And, when the Senator decides to make a run at the presidency, Allison's job gets a whole lot crazier!

At first, I didn't think that I was going to like Capital Hell (Beaver's Pond Press, 2012). Authors Jayne Jones and Alicia Long start the book with a gushy tone (too! many! exclamation points!) that is just a bit over the top.  Before long, however, the story hits its stride, and you can't help but get caught up in Allison's adventures with high maintenance politicians and dysfunctional co-workers.  If you're feeling a little battered by the current election season, Capital Hell may be just the political laugh you need.

I received a complimentary copy of Capital Hell to facilitate my review.  No other compensation was received.  For full disclosure, see the sidebar.

14 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed your review. Sounds like an interesting book.

Brian Miller said...

too many exclamation points....enough said right there for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.smiles

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

It sounds like a fun read. I always appreciate your honesty, Mama Z.

Kathy M.

Sylvia K said...

Sounds interesting, but I've had just about all the politics I can stand without reading about it for pleasure! Great review, MZ, as always!!

G-Man said...

NO!!!!!!!!!

But thanks for asking...:P

Rajesh said...

Interesting.

George said...

I could use some laughs now, but I'm about ready to give up on politics for a while. (We voted early.)

Francesca said...

It sounds very interesting. I will try to order it online, here in Sicily it is not available. I found you through my friend Joyful and I'm now following you.

Francesca said...

It sounds very interesting. I will try to order it online, here in Sicily it is not available. I found you through my friend Joyful and I'm now following you.

LadyD Piano said...

Great cover art and nice review!

Fireblossom said...

Overworked, underpaid, and surrounded by crazy people? Sounds very familiar...

A Lady's Life said...

Over worked, underpaid ...sounds just about right of everyone these days lol

Daydreamertoo said...

Ditto on Brian's comment!!!!!
lol
Sounds like fun read though :)

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Sounds interesting. Political thrillers are one of my favorite genres!