Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Man And His Meat

My brother-in-law is a competitive meat smoker.  Snicker.  What I mean to say is that he smokes meat and enters competitions.  It is a hobby more fraught with peril than you would imagine.

Last night, my brother-in-law was preparing some meat for an upcoming competition.  It was getting really late (the meat has to be smoked for a ridiculous amount of time), so he decided to get in his truck where he could catch a little nap, but still keep an eye on the smoker (a huge converted propane tank; homemade, of course).  About 3 am, he was awakened by some sort of noise.  When he checked the smoker, he discovered that 60 pounds of pork had been meat-napped!

Wait; it gets better.

The dastardly meat-nappers were apparently unaware that they were dripping a trail of greasy pork goodness as they made their getaway.  My brother-in-law called the police (pigs?), followed the trail, and the thieves were apprehended.

The recovered meat took 2nd place.

Seriously.

21 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

LMAO wow, I guess you really don't mess with a man and his meat.

Kelly said...

Great story! (and I know how serious that meat business can get!)

Eric (Bubba) Alder said...

I know that much meat can cost a pretty penny, not to mention the added value of the smoker's skill. I'm glad he got his meat back - and winning 2nd place with it was a real bonus!

AntiquityTravelers said...

OMG I'm laughing so hard! I just read this one out loud to my husband because it was just too good not to share! What a beautiful story - seriously. ha! thanks for the kind words on my blog - things are a mess here, but we're all warm, safe and dry. :)

DeniseinVA said...

Wow! So glad your brother got the meat-nappers and was able to enter his competition.

Sylvia K said...

Well, you and your brother surely got my day off with a BIG laugh!! What a hoot!! Saved the meat, won second prize and beat the meat-nappers!! I love it!

Leenie said...

I love a story with a happy ending.

TexWisGirl said...

you could not make that up! :)

Brian Miller said...

meat smokers....and meat nappers....this is quite a dastardly thing going on here....

Jinksy said...

You couldn't have made that up! LOL

Akelamalu said...

LOL you couldn't make it up!

Fireblossom said...

That's really low. I've heard from politicians about cutting pork, but cutting and running *with* the pork?

That title is hilarious.

A Lady's Life said...

Wow what a story. Were the people hungry?

G. B. Miller said...

Ooooooookay.

Hope the meat was tasty.

thirtysevenandcounting said...

Someone obviously didn't want him to win the competition. Glad there was still some meat left to be judged. Great story!

SandyCarlson said...

Too funny!

Lynn said...

Wow - truth really is stranger than fiction. :)

Leovi said...

I'm glad the thieves were arrested.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That's the funniest thing I've read in days.

Carletta said...

Glad it had a happy ending! You can't make that stuff up. :)

Mrs4444 said...

Maybe it was his competition?!