Monday, December 7, 2009

Review: Take Me Out To The Ballgame


For years, the Buffalo Matadors have been a miserable baseball team. But, the joke of the league becomes the Cinderella team of the nation when new owner, Harry Witowsky, begins exploiting the economic tension of the times to whip up fan enthusiasm. As the season progresses and the Mats start winning, "rooting for the home team" becomes increasingly ugly and violent. What happens if one fan forgets it's just a game?

Gary Morgenstein's Take Me Out to the Ballgame is a fun, suspenseful read that entertains and makes you think. Set in the present (the Matador's chant is "Where's My Bailout"), Take Me Out to the Ballgame takes an unflinching look at how easily frightened, angry people can be manipulated and incited. Morgenstein paints a terrifyingly realistic picture of seemingly everyday folks transformed into a frenzied mob. This is a story that feels as real as the evening news.

Plus, it's a great baseball book.

Highly recommended.

For full disclosure, see sidebar.

16 comments:

G-Man said...

What a Great Review!
I would absolutely read this because of you!

G-Man said...

HA!!!
Now THAT puts things back in their proper perspective!

Nessa said...

Sounds very interesting. We are all so easily manipulated.

Giant Crickets Invade Norway

Talon said...

Neat premise for exploring one of the scarier aspects of society. Not a baseball fan, but sounds like an interesting read.

Mojo said...

Buffalo, huh? Perfect choice if you ask me. this story doesn't sound all that farfetched to me when I think about the 2006 NHL Eastern Conference Final. (Carolina beat Buffalo in 7 games to advance to the Stanley Cup final and win it all... Go Canes!) During that series there were more arrests made at the RBC Center than there had been in its entire history. I was at all 4 of the games played here, so I don't really need to read the book. I lived it.

But it'll make G-Man happy to know that Sabres fans replaced Red Wings fans (and even Rangers fans) on my "Most Obnoxious" list.

Tall Kay said...

I always love your book reviews! I have yet to disagree. I think I'm going to order a few for gifts too. Thank you sooo much for your honest opinions...you are right on!

Thom said...

Great review my friend :)

Brian Miller said...

nice. great review, will put it on my amazon list...

Gabriella Moonlight said...

I may have to pick this one up, I am not a big baseball person, but your review has completely intrigued me!!!

Hugs
g

Bubbie said...

How does everyone have time to read and do blogspot?? Excellent review. I live vicariously though them! I need to quit my day job!!

Cookie said...

I love books with a sports theme. Sounds good to me!

Dr.John said...

Not my kind of book, no demons or vampires. But it does sound like a good read.

staceyjwarner said...

graet review...sports immediately puts me off not a fan but sounds good...

much love

Fireblossom said...

Sounds like "The Fan" meets Glenn Beck!

Matty said...

Anything baseball gets my attention. Sounds intriguing. I'll put this on my list. Thanks.

blueviolet said...

Normally a sports related book wouldn't sound appealing but this one does!