Monday, August 31, 2009

Review: Mom's Homeroom

As a former teacher, I know how important it is for parents to be actively involved in a child's education. As a mother, I want to do everything that I can to help my daughter be successful at school. That's why, as a former teacher and a mother, I really like Mom's Homeroom.

Mom's Homeroom is a new site (sponsored by Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats) dedicated to providing videos, tips, and articles about helping children achieve academic success. Hosted by four very different moms (a teacher, a psychiatrist, a former marketing coordinator turned stay at home mom, and an obstetrician / gynecologist), the site offers a variety of perspectives on topics such as overscheduling, the computer as a learning tool, homework meltdowns, and much more. Mom's Homeroom also features a Community section with message boards where moms can join together, exchange tips, and finally figure out, once for all, just how many times it is necessary to say "put your shoes on."

The entire site is really well done, but my favorite part of the site is definitely the Articles section. When it comes to wanting to hold a hard copy, I'm hopelessly old school. I really like to be able to print stuff that I find useful. Mom's Homeroom has a great collection of printable tools and articles on everything from choosing the right school to social networking for second graders. The articles in the "Writing" section are outstanding.

If you have an elementary school age child, Mom's Homeroom is an excellent (and free!) resource. Check it out!

“I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Kellogg’s Frosted Mini-Wheats and received a sample to facilitate my candid review. In addition, Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.”

15 comments:

Lynn said...

Looks like a great educational site - and I like printing out things, too. :)

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

If I had children, I'd definitely visit! Thanks for sharing, MZ! :))

G-Man said...

A free sample?
I hope it's a BIG box!!

Cathy said...

looks really interesting--i'll have to check it out!

Gin said...

Checking it out now Mama Zen. Thanks!

Talon said...

I wish I'd been able to use resources like this when my kids were growing up. I do know some Moms who will love the link. Thanks, Mama Zen.

Cheffie-Mom said...

I don't have an elementary school age child, but I will definitely pass this on to my friends! Thanks!

Cookie said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I love free samples :)

Jannie Funster said...

I'm hopelessly hard-copy too, but that's a very good thing, you Paid Reviewer you! YEAH!!!

Fireblossom said...

Thus far, Bosco refuses to attend school, maintaining that he already knows everything. ;-)

Silvia said...

Absolutely brilliant idea. Thank you, Mama Zen. I always thought that you had some flame for teaching. big smile.

Silvia said...

Absolutely brilliant idea. Thank you, Mama Zen. I always thought that you had some flame for teaching. big smile.

Martha said...

I couldn't agree with you more. My kids are a bit older now but I was always very involved with educating them prior to school and during the elementary years - it definitely paid off!

Jen said...

Sounds interesting!

Robin said...

Were the Frosted Mini-Wheats yummy? (and if I should give birth I'll look it up)