Saturday, July 4, 2009

Review: Painting The Invisible Man

More than twenty years has passed since her father's gangland style murder, and Anna Matteo had moved on with her life. Or, so she thought. When she stumbles across old newspaper articles about the murder trial, however, she realizes that she has wounds that have never healed and questions that have never been answered. Had she ever really known her father? If not, could she ever really know herself?

Rita Schiano's Painting the Invisible Man is absolutely riveting. Described by the author as "somewhere between a contemporary historical novel and a roman a clef," Painting the Invisible Man is a fictional telling of Schiano's own experiences growing up in a family on the fringe of organized crime. Schiano writes with an earthy beauty that is almost poetic. And, she is utterly believable, raw, and genuine.

I really enjoyed Painting the Invisible Man. Schiano does a magnificent job of telling a complex and emotional story. She doesn't simplify, and she doesn't provide easy, tidy answers. Instead she offers a tale well-told and a marvelous read.

Highly recommended.

11 comments:

Talon said...

This sounds like a gripping story. I love stories where fact and fiction are blended. I can imagine it was a difficult journey for her to embark on. This is on my "buy" list.

Have a stupdendous holiday weekend, Mama Zen!

Jannie Funster said...

Cool, sounds full of intrique. And what an apt title for the subject.

Happpy 4th!
xo

Rita Schiano said...

Thank you...I am quite touched....

Debbie said...

I love a book review and this sounds great. How fun that the author commented on your post!

Nessa said...

Another title to add to my ever growing list.

Happy 4th of July.

Prayer Girl said...

My list of books I'm reading is long enough. Now my list of books to read is one more longer. :)

PG

Woman in a Window said...

Highly reccomended? One to think about then.

starrlife said...

I'm going to add that to my vacation list!

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

It sounds like a great read! Thank you for sharing, MZ!

Pouty Lips said...

I know how it feels to have a father who was murdered. I'll be picking up a copy.

pheromone girl said...

Where did I put my library card...?