Thursday, June 4, 2009

Review: Grandmother, Have the Angels Come?

There's just something beautiful about a close relationship between a little girl and her grandmother. Tiny fingers interlaced with old, a soft, smooth cheek resting against a worn and rounded shoulder; few relationships bring such joy and comfort. A little girl will always be her grandmother's little girl.

Denise Vegas' Grandmother, Have the Angels Come? (Little, Brown Young Readers, 2009) is a gorgeous exploration of the bond between grandmother and grandchild. Written in lyrical (if a bit, um, abstract) prose and vividly illustrated, Grandmother is a conversation about the physical signs of aging. Why does grandmother have white hair? Angels came and painted it white to make grandmother more like the clouds. The book presents a truly lovely picture of growing older.

I have just one bit of criticism; this book is a little too long (I would have cut the last few pages). Other than that, it's a great bedtime read.

Recommended for little ones 4 - 8.

13 comments:

James Oh said...

Thanks for your introduction on this book of relationship.

Wish you have a blessed day

Gin said...

This sounds like a really sweet book. And the relationship thing is so true.

Talon said...

The title alone would catch my attention - though it immediately had me thinking a little girl was dying (but then I'm weird - lol). The artwork looks amazing!

Shadow said...

you describe a lovely relationship there.

Cat said...

Ah my grandmother... such good memories...

G-Man said...

I'll pass...But thanks for the review...:-)

Do I get a 55 tomorrow?

Woman in a Window said...

Sounds lovely. Looks like the art might measure up as well.

Akelamalu said...

Nice review, I can vouch for the special relationship between granddaughter and grandmother. :)

A Lady's Life said...

Grandmothers pride and joy to have a dumpling to tell stories to :)

Cookie said...

It sounds really sweet :)

Dr.John said...

Sounds like a great book. We have no grandchildren ( girls) in that age range but if we did I would get it.

Mike Foster said...

After a long day, like the ones I've been enjoying, that book looks just about right for me.


peace,
mike
livelife365

Fireblossom said...

I loved my grandmother! :-)