Sunday, March 8, 2009

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

When it comes to books about parenting, I've read (more than) my share. Some were humorous. Some were serious. And, some offered a lot more guilt than helpful advice. To separate the wheat from the chaff I developed a little rule: the only good parenting book is one that makes you feel good about the parenting style that comes naturally to you.

For me, Out of the Mouths of Babes: Parenting from a Child's Perspective (iUniverse Star, 2008) is that kind of book. In the book, author Dyan Eybergen applies the principles of attachment parenting to some of the parenting dilemmas typically encountered in the post infancy years. What's the best way to handle everything from toilet training to sibling conflicts to (oh! my! God!) questions about sex? Put yourself in your child's place. What would you need? How would you want to be treated?

I really enjoyed Out of the Mouths of Babes. It's a quick read, and it's filled with lots of anecdotes and humour (the quotes from children are hilarious). The important thing, however, is that it espouses a philosophy of parenting that fits me like a glove. And, that's an excellent parenting book.

Written for the MotherTalk blog tour.

12 comments:

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

A great review, MZ! I'll pass it on to family members! Thank you! :))

Fireblossom said...

Gee, my son is 23, and you make ME want to read it! And the book cover is so sweet, I love it. I used to love to blow soap bubbles.

Gabriella Moonlight said...

I have step children and I may have to pick this book up...sounds great and I love your philosophy on parenting books!

Heather of the EO said...

This really does sound like something I would love. Thank you for the heads up! :)

Cookie said...

You definitely had me with "quick read!"

Shadow said...

we do tend to like the things that we agree with and tend to come easy to us. and this is not meant in a negative sense whatsoever. me and my bean have add, and i've just read a brilliant article on the positive spin on this, and read it to the bean i will too, cause he has to know, that for every negative there is a positive. school's just not very... how can i put it... in tune? with add???? anyway, i'm digressing. i'm glad you found such positive reinforcement to your parenting style!

Mom To a Preschooler said...

I think I need to get a copy of this book. I am so glad I am done with toilet training, but it's so hard to have my 3 year old daughter not to drink from a bottle anymore. She drinks from a cup but if she drinks milk, it has to be from a bottle. Oh I wish I could find better ways to get her to stop drinking from a bottle. I will definitely learn many things from this book.

Woman in a Window said...

Another good one. Got to get me to the library!

mile191 said...

thanks. this is a great post. and, i am with you about the jokes too. I don't get them. Hey, if you get a chance to read me today, tomorrow...go read Women Doing More. My aunt wrote an excellent expression of love and loss. I am trying to spread the word. She is an amazing women, who needs our support right now, and to know that others care about her loss and pain. We all need that, from time to time, and you have been there for me so much. Thank you.

Killlashandra said...

Maybe we should leave a copy in the glove box so on those truly frustrating days we can flip it up and read something funny to be reminded it will be ok after all. :)

MomOf4 said...

This looks awesome! I am going to have to check it out!

Dyan said...

Dear the Zen of Motherhood,
Thank you so much for this wonderful review of my book Out of the Mouths of Babes. I am so glad you enjoyed it and got out of it exactly the message I intended it to give - you summed it up perfectly!
Love the blog by the way!

Kind Regards,
Dyan Eybergen
Author: Out of the Mouths of Babes